Saturday, November 19, 2011

easy-peasy donuts

oh... my... heavens. this is one of those ridiculously easy ideas that i never should've found. never... ever. my friend sheri says that i always say recipes are easy. but, honestly sheri, this could be the easiest ever.

ok, so jackie makes donuts this way, which i had completely forgotten... until i saw this on a fabulous blog and thought to myself, "brilliant! why haven't i done this?" oh, and while i was in the kitchen making these sinfully delicious donuts, my husband saunters in and says, "oh yeah, we did that when i was little. my sisters and i used to make donuts like that. we even made them with chocolate. and then, we'd sell them to the neighbor kids!"

all right, i'll get on with it...

i started by putting about 1/2 inch of oil in my cast iron skillet. while the oil was heating, i got busy with the canned biscuits. any biscuits you'd like, just not the flaky kind. and i couldn't find my little circle cookie cutter, so i used a plastic medicine cup. you know, the kind that come on the bottles of liquid tylenol or ibuprofen? using your cookie cutter (or a plastic medicine cup), cut out the middle of the biscuit. for me, the little cup worked great! even when the dough got stuck, the cup was flimsy enough to squeeze and the dough fell out. and, it was the perfect size for donut holes!

now that you've got the dough ready, and the oil hot... get cookin'!

place dough in hot oil. cook until golden brown, and then flip with tongs. it would be a good idea to have a plate with papertowels ready and close enough that you don't drip oil all over the stove... or the cabinet... or the floor.

when the donuts are that really pretty golden color on both sides, place them on the papertowels for a couple of minutes. i let them sit until they were cool enough to handle. as a topping, i used a mix of cinnamon and sugar in a seperate bowl. when the donuts were cool enough to touch, i let the girls coat the donuts with the cinnamon and sugar mix. you must be careful in allowing someone to help... most of the donut holes disappeared.

and... ta da! they look scruptious, don't they? just writing this makes me crave them. my mouth is watering... seriously.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Anne, this is Carol, Kathy's friend, we used to make these too when I was a kid...but I've never done it since I've been a mom, but I will now! Thanks for posting! :)

anne said...

my family LOVED it! we'll be doing it again... probably in the morning!