Monday, January 31, 2011

our new hobby!

today, gracie and i found our new hobby. grandma taught us how to sew! i wish i'd had the camera when gracie heard that sewing machine start humming. oh, and when grandma said she had pink thread to sew a blanket, you'd have thought we told her we were going to disney world. gracie was giddy! she sat for the longest time and just watched grandma work on some curtains (ok, so i sat there riveted too). we both just stared in awe. i know it seems silly, but it's one of those things i've never learned to do and have wanted to. i have a friend who quilts... that's something i'd love to be able to do! sure, i can sew on a button if needed and i do own a pin cushion (that hasn't seen the light of day since i was in fha in 9th grade).
now, i give you the proof...

grandma had a great idea to give her a needle and thread, i found an old shirt, and gracie spent a while "needling"
(that's sewing in 6 year old terms).

gracie made a ruffle on the bottom of my tank top.

so proud of her work!
then, grandma let me take a spin with her sewing machine...
grandma's idea for me to sew edges on a blanket and then for gracie to cut the fringed edges. gracie was so excited about her blanket, she's going to take it for her special show and tell (she's student of the week!).

ok, so i really enjoyed it. i mean really. grandma told me i needed to practice 'cause the next lesson is cutting patterns. she said we might make some dresses for the girls. yay! oh, the things i could sew... so, i'm thinking a blanket for cale and maybe a pillow case (or two) will be practice. so the little fleece blanket isn't a quilt... one step at a time, right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is absolutely WONDERFUL!!! YEAH, GRANDMA!!!! My grandma sewed and Nana had no desire to learn, so...I never really learned well. I am SO stinkin', freakin' jealous!! Carol is going to teach me to quilt, and I want to do one by hand since I LOVE handwork (think counted cross stitch!), and for that I have to buy a machine, too! YEAH!! Minnie